Free School Meals
From September 2014 all children in reception, year 1 and year 2 in state-funded schools in England receive a free school meal. The government made this decision after a recommendation in the School Food Plan.
Free school meals will also continue to be available to pupils (including infants) whose parents receive certain benefits and who are registered to receive one. We encourage all parents who are in receipt of these benefits to register even when their child is in foundation, year 1 and 2 as this will allow the school to claim pupil premium of £1,325 which is then used to directly benefit their child in school.
Free School Meals
Did you know that if your child is registered as eligible for free school meals, the school receives a pupil premium payment of £1,325 per year? The school receives this payment whether or not your child has the school dinner. This premium is used by the school to organise additional opportunities, which directly benefit your child. No one will know you have registered and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming.
How does it work?
Year 2 and below
If your child is in reception, year 1 or year 2 they can get free school meals as part of the national Universal Free Infant School Meals Scheme.
It is important that if you receive a qualifying benefit you still need to register for free school meals under the eligibility scheme.
Year 3 and above
If your child is under 19 and in full-time education, you may be able to get free school meals for them if you get one of these benefits:
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income Support (IS)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Support under part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 if you’re an asylum seeker
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Children who receive Income Support (IS) or Income Based Jobseekers Allowance in their own right can also get free school meals.
Apply for free school meals
Fill in the
Send your completed form to the School Food Support Service at our address below.
- Name:School Food Support Service
- Address:County Hall